Planning Your Legacy
Whether you’re twenty eight or eighty, the day will come when you want to think about what you want to pass on to others.
What will be your legacy? Will your gifts benefit not only family members, but the community? Can you imagine Augustana Care’s mission having a place in your legacy?
Planned giving is important to the health and well-being of those we serve now, and those who depend on Augustana Care’s for essential services in the future. Planned gifts provide crucial support to Augustana Care in numerous ways:
- Planned giving is a plan for the future. As the number of older people in our community increases, the need for services increases too. Bequests and other planned gifts help with expansions and new programs.
- Planned giving eliminates the “dire” from emergencies.Planned gifts can provide a financial cushion when things go wrong.
- Planned gifts help fill in the gaps that individuals and families cannot address. Planned gifts can make a difference to individuals and families who may not be able to care for older relatives without assistance.
Planned gifts come from those we serve, members of Augustana Care’s church affiliates, residents, family members, staff and others. Donations may be made with cash, securities, IRA and other retirement accounts, real estate or tangible personal property. Gifts may be fully deductible; consult an attorney to be sure. You’ll also want your attorney to verify that the provision states our legal name: Augustana Care.
If you’ve already put Augustana Care in your will, please let us know so we can thank you. For more information about how planned giving can help you and Augustana Care, see our planned giving guides.
Planned Giving Options
When you’re choosing to leave a legacy, you have a lot of options. The list below gives you an overview of possibilities.
Gifts that Supplement Income
- Charitable Gift Annuities and Annuity Trusts—supplement your income with fixed annual payments during your lifetime. Learn more about annuities.
- Charitable Lead Trusts—minimize your heirs’ tax liabilities while providing income to charitable organizations, after which your heirs receive the remaining principal.
- Charitable Remainder Unitrusts—avoid the consequences of inflation by paying a lifetime income to you or a loved one. Learn more about trusts.
Gifts Distributed after your Lifetime
- Bequests or Living Trusts—allow you to leave a legacy that reflects your ideals and values. Gifts are deferred until after your lifetime. Learn more about bequests.
- Life Insurance Gifts—give you the ability to help others by making large donations at little or no cost.
- Retirement Plan Gifts—avoid double taxation on retirement plan assets through gifts from your retirement plans (IRA, 401K or Keogh). Learn more about retirement plan gifts.
- Retained Life Estates and Tangible Property—reduce heirs’ taxes on your estate and reduce the stress of selling possessions. Learn more about property gifts.
Irene Danielson Society: A Special Opportunity
“Working with Deaconess Irene made me realize how deeply she knew each of the people we served. She would be proud of the meaningful relationships being built at Augustana Care now.”
–Patty Crawford, staff member
Remembering Deaconess Irene
Deaconess Irene Danielson was Augustana Care’s first director of nursing, working six days a week for 38 years. Friends and coworkers describe her as a role model who cherished time with patients. To help future generations, she made a generous bequest to Augustana Care in her will.
In honor of the deaconess, we named our society of legacy donors the Irene Danielson Society. We invite you to help us continue Deaconess Irene’s work by giving a planned gift to Augustana Care. Planned gift options include the following:
- Life insurance gifts
- Retirement plan gifts
- Gifts of property
New members are recognized at our annual donor dinner and in Augustana Care’s annual report (unless they wish to remain anonymous).
The Irene Danielson Society gives you the opportunity to make a difference to those who rely on Augustana Care for basic needs and other services that make life fuller and more vibrant.
For more information, please contact Augustana Care’s philanthropy office at 612-238-5211 or email@example.com.
I never met people with such a heart for serving others.